This interactive two-day livestream program is intended for all mental health professionals in Australia and surrounding regions including Oceania, ASEAN and Asia. The content is applicable to both adult and adolescent populations. It is delivered between 9am and 5pm Australian Eastern Daylight Saving Time. Take note that if you reside in Brisbane (-1 hr) or Perth (-3hrs) or Auckland (+2hrs) there is a time difference (ie., 8am start in Brisbane or 6am start in Perth and 11 am start in Auckland). You will need a constant high speed internet connection of at least 10 Mbps per day.
This program is intended for past attendees of Treating PTSD (Days 1-2) presented by Dr Giarratano (from 2017 onwards). There are no exceptions to this policy because approximately half of the full four-day program material is presented in Treating PTSD (Days 1-2) and is not repeated in Treating Complex Trauma.
You will be required to commit 19 hours of your time to participate in Days 3-4 (14 hours livestream + 1 hour Day 3-4 quiz + 4 hours case study) with printed copies of your materials mailed to you before access is provided. You also have access to two-hour Livestream trauma case study group to apply the skills taught. The total time commitment for the two days and optional case study group is 19 hours of trauma focused professional development on the following dates:
1.Treating Complex Trauma with Dr Leah Giarratano (Day 3-4) livestream on 11-12 March 2021 between 9am and 5pm Australian Eastern Standard Daylight Savings Time with online access to program material from 12 March to 12 April 2021
2.Trauma Case Study Group livestream with Dr Leah Giarratano on 7/5/21 between 11am and 1pm Australian Eastern Standard Time (participation is optional and included in your fee)
In order to ensure you receive printed materials on time by mail, registrations are not accepted after 2/3/21. If you reside outside Australia, you must be registered one month prior (by 11/3/21).
Leah Giarratano will present the livestream from her home over two consecutive days and you will be able to pose questions during the presentations. Each livestream session will be between 1.5 and 2 hours in duration with three 15-30 minute breaks during the day (for morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea).
To help you consolidate your learning, you will also have one-month access to Leah’s pre-recorded online training package. Please note that this is not simply a recording of a past live event. This is an education package specifically designed and produced to be worked through online, presented throughout by Dr Leah Giarratano, incorporating lectures, real cases, learning quizzes and structured practical exercises to complete in your own time. Further details will be provided upon registration.
As part of your registration, you have complimentary have access to a two-hour trauma case study group livestream on 7/5/21 to apply the skills presented in the training to two cases. This case study group is available exclusively for practicing mental health clinicians who register in the two online modes of Trauma Education (Days 1-4). The first hour will be dedicated to a PTSD case and the second hour to a CPTSD case. The trauma case study time commitment will also include two hours preparation per group and a total of four hours of active professional development.
This program is intended for all mental health professionals. Counsellors, occupational therapists, psychiatrists, counselling general medical practitioners, mental health nurses, psychologists, psychotherapists and social workers are all welcome to attend.
Participating in this event earns:
8 PDP hours Educational Activity/Performance Review for members of Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine (2020-2022)
10 OPD points for members of the Australian Counselling Association (expires 4/12/20)
19 CPD hours can be claimed if you are a mental health graduate and/or employed in a mental health role as a practitioner/clinician when you complete the livestream, Day 3-4 quiz and case study group requirements
These workshops are designed to meet the CPD requirements for Medicare Focused Psychological Strategy (FPS) providers and the Psychology Board of Australia (PBA) requirements for an Active CPD event. If you are a member of the Australian Psychological Society (APS), your CPD activities no longer need to be endorsed by the APS; you can accrue CPD hours by participating in activities that you believe are relevant to your annual learning plan or goals.
Registration fee and payment is in Australian Dollars
$795 (including Australian GST)
This program completes Leah's four-day core training for professionals working with traumatised clients. You are required to attend ‘Treating PTSD’ before enrolling in ‘Treating Complex Trauma’ because important workshop material is presented in 'Treating PTSD' and is not repeated in 'Treating Complex Trauma'.The emphasis of this two-day training program is upon imparting practical, accessible skills to use immediately with survivors of complex trauma (especially survivors of child abuse and neglect). The content is applicable to both adult and adolescent populations. Topics include:
• Complex trauma. Complex PTSD. Attachment disorders. Personality disorders. What’s the difference/ relationship?
• Phased-based treatment model based on best practice guidelines
• Building and maintaining the therapeutic relationship, including maintaining compassionate boundaries and managing therapy disruptions and termination
• Using the therapeutic relationship to promote emotion regulation
• Understanding attachment re-enactment and betrayal trauma in order to work with challenging behaviours, including: ‘splitting’ between care providers; idolising/demonising the therapist; constant new crises; reduced motivation; external locus of control
• Practical therapeutic techniques (including exposure interventions and experiential tools) drawn from: Attachment-based treatment; Emotion Focused Therapy; Dialectical Behaviour Therapy; Metacognitive and Mentalisation Therapies; Schema Therapy; Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy to help clients presenting with complex trauma symptomatology, including flashbacks, numbing and dissociation, emotional ‘hurricanes’, somatisation, self-hate, self-harming and suicidal acts, dysfunctional relationships and substance abuse
• Managing and reducing vicarious trauma in the therapist.
About the program author/presenter
Leah Giarratano is a doctoral level clinical psychologist with vast clinical and teaching expertise in traumatology, working in this area in since 1995. Leah is the author of seven books covering the assessment and treatment of psychological trauma and in the application of CBT.
What past participants have said about this program
I gained a new perspective and understanding on complex PTSD and the overlap of this and other diagnoses. The program provided me many more tools, in particular formulating a treatment plan.
One of the most practical, evidence-based, engaging and overall welcoming trainings I have completed
Fantastic workshop. The program was well structured. Leah provided a thorough understanding of the material and this was supported by research and case studies.
Thank you for sharing your expertise, knowledgebase and practise material. I will be recommending this course and resources to my colleagues.
This was an outstanding workshop! The blend of clinical experience, with research knowledge was fantastic. Very practical – will draw on these concepts/tools often and highly recommend this workshop to others.
Extremely informative, useful, interactive and engaging, and beautifully presented. Ten out of ten. Recommend thoroughly.
Unlike other courses that often provide only theory and background, and you leave disappointed, this workshop is practical and has a good balance of information and theory but lots of take away skills that are shown, explained and practised. Best CPD I’ve ever done.
I tell all of my colleagues that this is 5-star training. There’s a great coverage of information. I recommend both of Leah’s programs to everyone. I’ve found that I learn even more with re-reading through the thorough notes provided.
What past participants have said about this livestream program
Full of practical strategies that can be immediately used with clients
Loved everything about this program. Professional, knowledgeable, informative and paced well.
Practical, useful & very interesting information presented in a way which kept my attention and allowed me to participate and ask questions
Overall this was such an amazing workshop to be part of. I learnt so many tools to implement with my clients and already have some in mind to practice with starting next week. Real life examples and video demonstrations consolidated new information.
Models gave me a great framework to hang everything on. Best role plays I've ever done - safe. Such great resources.
• The content of this page, in relation to this particular offering is always current and replaces all other published information about this workshop. Please do not rely on information published elsewhere as it may be incorrect
• If you have reserved your place and have not paid by the due date on your invoice, your reservation will expire
• If your employer is making payment and you expect delays, we suggest you make payment yourself and request reimbursement from your employer when we have issued your receipt
• We accept registration by email, text
or at our website. A tax invoice will be issued via e-mail upon registration
• Please register at this website. Payment can be made via electronic funds transfer (EFT where no fee applies) or credit card (where a card fee applies). Payment by cheque was phased out in January 2015.
• Registration fee includes comprehensive program notes that are mailed to you up to two weeks before you can access the online recordings.
• A record of participation will be e-mailed to all participants on 13/3/21 following the completion of a self test/quiz. Our record of participation includes: the name and qualifications of the presenter; an overview of training contents; and the names of all those who participated. We do not provide an individual certificate of attendance because they can be self-created. Our record of participation is official proof for your professional development log
• If you wish to claim professional development (CPD) hours/points, your record of attendance will be issued following the livestream and after you complete a quiz with an 80% pass rate. You will be able complete the quiz at the end of the livestream, which can attempted the more than once.
• Please direct general enquiries to Joshua George using the contact form on this website
• In order to qualify for a refund, we have not mailed you the printed materials and your cancellation is finalised in writing prior to 20/2/21.
• Cancellation will attract a $77 processing fee. If you paid by credit card, the card fee paid is not refundable. The card fee also applies on the balance of your refund.
• If you have received your printed materials and do not qualify for a refund, you can postpone the balance of your online access to the recordings to another time period of your choosing within six months of your registration.
• If you have received the printed program materials and do not take part in the livestream or access the online recording for any reason, we cannot refund any part of your fee.
Treating Complex Trauma (Day 3-4) with Dr Leah Giarratano Livestream on 11-12 March 2021 between 9am and 5pm AEDT for Australia
- Product Code: 03B
- Availability: In Stock