This workshop is intended for past attendees of Treating PTSD presented by Dr Giarratano (from 2013 onwards). There are no exceptions to this policy because approximately half of the full four-day program material is presented in Treating PTSD and is not repeated in Treating Complex Trauma.
Clinical skills for Treating Complex Traumatisation with Dr Leah
15-16 August 2019, Brisbane CBD
The venue will not be publicised. Attendees will be advised venue details upon registration.
8:30am to 4:30pm
Registrations are not accepted after 12/8/19
This program is intended for all mental health professionals and it attracts 14 CPD hours. Psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers, mental health nurses, counsellors, occupational therapists and counselling GPs are all welcome to attend.
Attending this event earns:
14 CPD hours for members of the Australian Association of Social Workers (expires 30/11/19)
14 CPE hours (Level 2) for members of the Australian College of Mental Health Nurses (expires 8/1/21)
10 OPD points for members of the Australian Counselling Association (expires 15/12/18)
14 CPD hours can be claimed if you are a mental health graduate and/or employed in a mental health role as a practitioner/clinician
This workshop is designed to meet the CPD requirements for Medicare Focused Psychological Strategy (FPS) providers and the Psychology Board of Australia (PBA) requirements for an Active CPD event. If you are a member of the Australian Psychological Society (APS), your CPD activities no longer need to be endorsed by the APS; you can accrue CPD hours by participating in activities that you believe are relevant to your annual learning plan or goals.
Registration fee and payment is in Australian Dollars (AUD)
Early Bird: $690 when you pay by 15/5/19
Normal Fee: $780 when you pay after 15/5/19
This two-day (8:30am-4:30pm) workshop completes Leah's four-day core training for professionals working with traumatised clients. You are required to attend ‘Treating PTSD’ before enrolling in ‘Treating Complex Trauma’ because important workshop material is presented in 'Treating PTSD' and is not repeated in 'Treating Complex Trauma'.The emphasis of this two-day training program is upon imparting practical, accessible skills to use immediately with survivors of complex trauma (especially survivors of child abuse and neglect). The content is applicable to both adult and adolescent populations. Topics include:
• Complex trauma. Complex PTSD. Attachment disorders. Personality disorders. What’s the difference/ relationship?
• Phased-based treatment model based on best practice guidelines
• Building and maintaining the therapeutic relationship, including maintaining compassionate boundaries and managing therapy disruptions and termination
• Using the therapeutic relationship to promote emotion regulation
• Understanding attachment re-enactment and betrayal trauma in order to work with challenging behaviours, including: ‘splitting’ between care providers; idolising/demonising the therapist; constant new crises; reduced motivation; external locus of control
• Practical therapeutic techniques (including exposure interventions and experiential tools) drawn from: Attachment-based treatment; Emotion Focused Therapy; Dialectical Behaviour Therapy; Metacognitive and Mentalisation Therapies; Schema Therapy; Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy to help clients presenting with complex trauma symptomatology, including flashbacks, numbing and dissociation, emotional ‘hurricanes’, somatisation, self-hate, self-harming and suicidal acts, dysfunctional relationships and substance abuse
•Managing and reducing vicarious trauma in the therapist.
About the program author/presenter
Leah Giarratano is a doctoral level clinical psychologist who specialises in the assessment and treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). She has been presenting training programs in Australia since 1996 and in New Zealand since 2000. Leah is the author of seven books covering the assessment and treatment of psychological trauma and in the application of CBT.
What past attendees have said about
Highly experiential and practical course with comprehensive notes. Immediately applicable. Clear, concise and well-paced, covering a great deal of information but in a structured way.
Unlike other courses that often provide only theory and background, and you leave disappointed, this workshop is practical and has a good balance of information and theory but lots of take away skills that are shown, explained and practised. Best CPD I’ve ever done.
It draws from a number of modalities and strategies that are evidence-based. It is refreshing to be presented with an eclectic, but evidence based approach to treating complex trauma.
This is the best program I’ve attended. I wasn’t just informed about a topic, I was actually taught therapy interventions, i.e., what to do, step by step when dealing with complex trauma. Very caring and welcoming presenter who provided us with excellent, comprehensive handouts that can be used for further practice and training.
I tell all of my colleagues that this is 5-star training. There’s a great coverage of information. I recommend both of Leah’s programs to everyone. I’ve found that I learn even more with re-reading through the thorough notes provided.
• The content of this page, in relation to this particular workshop is always current and replaces all other published information about this workshop. Please do not rely on information published elsewhere as it may be incorrect
• If you have reserved your place and have not paid by the due date on your invoice, your reservation will expire and you will not have a position at the workshop
• If your employer is making payment and you expect delays, we suggest you make payment yourself and request reimbursement from your employer when we have issued your receipt
• To qualify for the early bird registration, your payment must be received by the specified date, that is, payment, not just registration, must be received by the early-bird cut-off date. Sorry, there are no exceptions for late payment arrivals
• We accept registration by email, text or at our website. A tax invoice will be issued via e-mail upon registration
• Please register at this website. Payment can be made via electronic funds transfer (EFT where no fee applies) or credit card (where a card fee applies). Payment by cheque was phased out in January 2015.
• Registration fee includes tea and coffee on arrival, morning and afternoon tea and lunch. Program notes are also included
• A record of attendance will be e-mailed to all participants in the days following the program. Our record of attendance includes: the name and qualifications of the presenter; an overview of workshop contents; and the names of all those present at the workshop. We do not provide an individual certificate of attendance because they can be self-created. Our record of attendance is your proof of attendance for your professional development log
• Please direct general enquiries to Joshua George using the contact form on this website
• If you require accommodation, visit a travel site such as Expedia or Webjet to find and book a hotel room in the CBD
Cancellation & Transfer Policy
• A cancellation or transfer must be finalised in writing at least ten days prior to the training date otherwise your options will be reduced to the final two points below
• If you cancel or transfer your registration ten days or more prior to the training date, it will attract a $77 processing fee
• You cannot transfer from a lower priced workshop to obtain a cheaper price in a higher priced workshop. You will be required to pay the price difference in this case
• When you transfer to another workshop, you can attend any of our workshops offered within one year of your transfer. We cannot refund any part of your fee once the transfer has been made
• If you are unable to attend the workshop for any reason, your position is transferable to someone holding a copy of your tax invoice upon registration
• If you do not attend the workshop for any reason, we cannot refund any part of your fee.
Treating Complex Trauma with Dr Leah Giarratano (Day 3-4) in Brisbane CBD on 15-16 August 2019
- Author: Dr Leah Giarratano B.A. (Hons.), M.Psych., D.Psych.
- Product Code: 02
- Availability: In Stock