This text provides practical skills for use by mental health clinicians working with survivors of child abuse and neglect, and other forms of complex traumatisation.
Since the conceptualisation of Complex PTSD, a range of clinically effective treatments for some of our most challenged and challenging clients has emerged. There is a paradigm shift in treatment occurring, and with that a need for all treatment providers to understand when cognitive behavioural interventions for the traumatised are indicated, and when other, more experiential, but still empirically-validated, approaches are required. There is more hope for our traumatised clients than ever before, and this text will equip mental health clinicians with immediately practical evidenced based skills to treat their clients who have survived complex traumatisation.
This book contains 15 chapters and 499 pages. It was first published in October 2018 + revised and reprinted in July 2022. Book size is 232mm x 152mm.
Retail Price: $150 (including GST) Australian Dollars. Purchase this direct from Talomin Books for $127.50 (including GST) Australian Dollars. Delivery fee applies.
• The concepts of Complex PTSD v/s PTSD, attachment disorders, and personality disorders. What’s the difference/relationship?
• Phased-based versus unimodal treatment for complex trauma - the best practice controversy and guidelines
• Building and maintaining the therapeutic relationship, including maintaining compassionate boundaries and managing therapy disruptions and termination
• Using the therapeutic relationship to promote emotion regulation
• Understanding attachment re-enactment and betrayal trauma in order to work with challenging behaviours, including: ‘splitting’ between care providers; idolising/demonising the therapist; constant new crises; reduced motivation; external locus of control
• Practical therapeutic techniques (including exposure interventions and experiential tools) drawn from: Attachment-based treatment; Emotion Focused Therapy; Dialectical Behaviour Therapy; Metacognitive and Mentalisation Therapies; Schema Therapy; Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy to help clients presenting with complex trauma symptomatology, including flashbacks, numbing and dissociation, emotional ‘hurricanes’, somatisation, self-hate, self-harming and suicidal acts, dysfunctional relationships and substance abuse
• Managing and reducing vicarious trauma in the therapist
The table of contents is as follows:
Note: The following manual completes the above text by providing clinician resources and handouts for distribution to clients.
Giarratano, L (2018) Managing Psychological Trauma: Clinician and Client Resources for the Clinical Skills Series, Talomin Books, Sydney, Australia, ISBN 9781920902049
If you wish to contact Leah Giarratano, please send a detailed enquiry to her assistant using the contact form on this site
Clinical Skills for Managing Complex Traumatisation [Revised July 2022] by Leah Giarratano, ISBN 9781920902100 (Softcover)
- Brand: talominbooks
- Product Code: 15
- Availability: In Stock
- $AUD 150.00